Commencement ceremonies are held once a year at the end of the spring semester for students who graduated in December of the previous year and candidates for graduation in May and August of the current year. Commencement information is available on the SDSU Commencement website in the middle of the fall semester. The Commencement brochure will be mailed to the address listed in the SDSU WebPortal in early spring.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I participate in the Commencement Ceremony, does that mean I have graduated from SDSU?
- All students that have an active graduation application on file with the university by the deadline of the published filing period will be invited to participate in the commencement ceremony. Participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean your degree with the university has been conferred. For example, if your active graduation application on file is for August graduation and you plan to complete your remaining degree requirements in summer immediately following the May commencement ceremony, you have not yet earned your degree from SDSU. You will still be required to complete the remaining requirements in summer and will be considered an August graduate assuming successful completion of your remaining degree requirements.
- Will I receive my diploma at the commencement ceremony?
- No. Diplomas will be mailed to the diploma address indicated in your SDSU WebPortal at the time the order is placed. Diplomas are ordered only after the degree has been officially posted to the SDSU record.
- What name will be listed in the commencement program?
- The name that will be listed in the commencement program is the same as your diploma name. Make sure to choose your diploma name when completing the graduation application. Otherwise your legal name shall be used in the commencement program.
- Will my name be listed in the commencement program if my information is confidential?
- Your name will NOT be listed in the commencement program if you have confidential directory information.