Probation & Disqualification FAQs

What is academic probation?
A student is in good academic standing when his/her overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) and SDSU GPA are 2.0 or higher. If either overall cumulative GPA or SDSU GPA fall below a 2.0, a student will be placed on academic probation. Being on academic probation means that a student's academic performance is below the state minimum required for graduation and that improvement is required. Students are placed on academic probation at the end of the semester when their SDSU grade point average (GPA) and/or cumulative GPA is less than 2.0 (less than a "C" average). Exception for Spring 2020: Due to the COVID-19, SDSU students will not be placed on academic probation after the spring 2020 semester regardless of term, SDSU, or cumulative grade point averages. Students who are currently on probation will not have the spring 2020 semester counted toward the maximum semesters of probation.
What happens when you are on academic probation?
Students on academic probation must achieve a minimum SDSU grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 each semester or they will be immediately disqualified. If the semester GPA is at least a 2.0 while on academic probation, the student may continue on probation for a maximum of three semesters. Students who, at the end of the third semester, have not raised their SDSU and cumulative GPA to a 2.0 or higher will be academically disqualified.
What is academic disqualification?
Students on academic probation will be disqualified at the end of the fall or spring semesters if they earn less than a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) for any semester while on probation, or if they still have less than a 2.0 GPA in all work completed at the end of their third semester on probation (not including summer). Exception for Spring 2020: Due to the COVID-19, SDSU students will not be academically disqualified after the Spring 2020 semester regardless of term, SDSU, or cumulative grade point averages.
What happens when you are disqualified?
Students who have been disqualified from SDSU will not be allowed to attend regular SDSU or Open University classes, or classes through the SDSU Global Campus Special Sessions until one year from the date of their disqualification. Students must also reapply for admission to SDSU and gain acceptance before resuming enrollment in regular SDSU classes after that one year.
After being disqualified, how can I be readmitted to SDSU?
Disqualified students must reapply to SDSU. You must meet the admission criteria that exist at the time you reapply in order to be considered for readmission. Readmission is not automatic and is not guaranteed. Criteria for readmission to SDSU can be found on the Admissions Web site.
How can I determine my academic status?
Unofficial Transcript snippetTo determine your academic status, you should refer to your WebPortal Message Center and your transcript. Your unofficial transcript is available through SDSU WebPortal.
When you are placed on academic probation or are academically disqualified, a note will appear under the "Academic Status" row. Your unofficial transcript will also list all SDSU courses you have taken in chronological order. Under each term, you will see a column for UA, UE, Grade points, and REF. UA means units attempted or the number of units a course is worth. UE means units earned or the number of units you earn for completing a course with a grade of D- or higher. Grade is the grade you earned for a course. PTS are the grade points you earned for each course you received a grade for. REF stands for reference codes which may appear on your unofficial transcript. For each semester that you complete courses, you will receive term totals, which will show you the total number of units attempted and earned, the total grade points earned, and grade point average for the semester. Below your term totals, you will see your SDSU cumulative totals. Your SDSU cumulative totals include all of the coursework you have completed at SDSU.
How do I calculate my GPA?
To calculate your grade point average (GPA), divide your total grade points by your total number of units attempted. Units earned with a "CR" (Credit) grade are not included in the computation. A grade of "I" (Incomplete authorized) is not counted in the GPA computation until one calendar year has expired, at which point it will be charged as an "IC" (Incomplete charged) and count as an "F" in the calculation. Summer term and Open University courses are included in the SDSU GPA. Extension courses are calculated only in the cumulative GPA.
Referring to your transcript, use this formula:
GPA = Total Grade Points / Total Units Attempted
How do I calculate grade points?
For every course unit, you receive grade points based on the grade you earned. SDSU offers a plus/minus grading system, but not all instructors use it.
Grade Point Conversion Chart
A = 4.0 C + = 2.3 D - = 0.7
A - = 3.7 C = 2.0 F = 0
B + = 3.3 C - = 1.7 WU = 0
B = 3.0 D + = 1.3 I = 0
B - = 2.7 D = 1.0 IC = 0
To calculate your grade points, multiply the number of course units by the number of grade points for the grade you earned. Referring to the chart above and your transcript, use this formula:
Number of Course Units X Number of Grade Points  = Total Grade Points
Example: If you earned a B+ in a 3-unit class, your grade point total for that class would be:
3.3 grade points X 3 units = 9.9 total grade points
How do I get off academic probation?
Course forgiveness is the most effective and efficient way to get off academic probation.
What is course forgiveness?
Course forgiveness allows you to re-take a class and "forgive” the first grade. Course forgiveness can only be used on original grades of "C-" or lower. The courses must be the exact same course and must be repeated at SDSU. The original grade remains on your transcript, but does not get calculated into your grade point average. The second grade replaces (forgives) the original grade. See the course forgiveness section of this Web site for more information.
How many courses can I take with course forgiveness?
You may request a maximum of 16 units for course forgiveness as part of the 28-unit course repeat limit. Note that you can repeat the same course only once for course forgiveness, and no more than one course used for course forgiveness may be an upper division course.
What if I earn a lower grade using course forgiveness?
The second grade you earn in the course counts, even if it is lower than your original grade.
Where do I stand?
You will need to determine what courses you can re-take and determine how you can use course forgiveness to help resolve academic probation. The GPA worksheet will also assist you in outlining your GPA goals. Using your GPA worksheet and your unofficial transcript, enter in your current SDSU and overall cumulative GPA.
Use the GPA calculator to enter in your Units Attempted, Grade Points Accumulated, and Desired GPA. You can find your total Units Attempted and your total Grade Points Accumulated on your SDSU unofficial transcript. The GPA calculator will outline the number of units and grades you need to reach a 2.0 to be removed from academic probation. Additionally, the GPA calculator can help you determine what number of units and grades you need to reach your impaction GPA.
Keep in mind that the GPA calculator does not include courses you take for course forgiveness. Examine your unofficial transcript and circle classes where you have earned a C- or lower. These are courses you may want to consider repeating for course forgiveness and will want to discuss with your major advisor.
How can I get good grades?
Here are some tips to help you succeed:
  • Go to class.
  • When in class, participate and ask questions.
  • Limit your class and workload total.
  • Plan to study at least 3 to 4 hours each week for every unit of class.
  • Attend Bounce Back.
  • Visit your instructor during office hours to get answers when you don't understand assignments or information.
  • Join or form a study group.
How can I avoid unearned poor grades?
Here are some tips to help you avoid getting unearned low grades:
  • Confirm your class schedule using the SDSU WebPortal and drop any class you are not attending.
  • Read the e-mail that is sent to you by SDSU, and the messages in the SDSU WebPortal Message Center.
  • Know the schedule adjustment deadline each semester. The schedule adjustment period ends at 7:59 p.m. on the tenth class day of the fall and spring semesters. You will not be able to add and drop classes after the deadline.
  • Be willing to change your behaviors (e.g. attend class regularly, improve study habits, manage schedule).
  • Know the SDSU academic policies – refer to the SDSU University Catalog first if you have questions.

See your major advisor or assitant dean to establish an academic plan to help you get off academic probation. Students who have been disqualified from SDSU can see an advisor to develop an academic plan to prepare for readmission to SDSU.

You will discover that there are many additional advising resources on campus. For more information review the Seeing An Advisor section.

The Department of Counseling and Psychological Services offers the Bounce Back program to students on academic probation. This one-unit course teaches various academic skills such as time management, test taking, study skills, and how to increase resilience by strengthening the ability to bounce back from adversity. More information about the Bounce Back program can be found on the Counseling and Psychological Services Web site.

Become familiar with important terms that involve your academics by reviewing the Terms You Need to Know document.