Course Repeat Petition
CSU and University policy prohibit undergraduate students from repeating a course for a second time and repeating more than 28 units at SDSU. Students that do not successfully complete a course with a C grade or better after two attempts will not be allowed to register for a third attempt in the same course, and students who have repeated 28 units of deficient grades at SDSU are not allowed to register for additional repeat attempts. Grades earned of C or better are not repeatable. Requests for special consideration of these policies will be reviewed only by petition and under the following circumstances:
COVID-19 Repeat Petition
If you are petitioning to repeat a course that was attempted during spring 2020 during the COVID-19 global pandemic, continue to the COVID-19 Course Repeat Petition web page.
- You have a serious and compelling reason that warrants an exception accompanied by a written statement and third-party documentation to support your reason
- You have obtained academic advising from your major/minor department advisor. Written
confirmation on department letterhead is required*
- Student name, Red ID, and repeated class information
- Statement of support and reasons for support
- Original signature of authorized advisor
- Statement of your serious and compelling reason that warrants an exception (to include name and Red ID)
- Third party documentation to support your reason
- Your plan to succeed if approved
- Major/Minor advisor support confirmed on department letterhead
Once all requirements listed above have been completed, you may fill out and submit the form below. You must submit the supporting documentation to the Office of Evaluations in person or you may scan and email the supporting documentation to [email protected]. Failure to submit the supporting documentation will result in automatic denial.
In order to be eligible for approval, you must be able to register, e.g. basic tuition and fees paid, have no registration holds. Time conflicts between classes are not permitted.
Be advised that financial aid may not cover the additional course attempt. Please see the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
Request for special consideration of repeating a course for the second time for:
|Semester||Submit Request Between|
|Spring 2022||November 22, 2021–January 21, 2022|
If your request is approved and you meet the criteria listed above, you will be automatically added to the class (if there are open seats) or added to the wait list for that term. You will be notified via email regarding the status of your request. You must also regularly check your SDSU WebPortal My Classes and/or My Wait List.
If your request is approved and you are added to the course or added to the wait list, you cannot change or adjust this enrollment in your SDSU WebPortal. If you wish to change the section of the added/wait listed course, you must contact the Office of Evaluations.
If your request is denied or you were unable to get into the class via the wait list, ensure you plan accordingly.